(last updated: 30 July 2021)
The World Health Organisation has declared the outbreak of the Novel Coronavirus a global pandemic on March 11, 2020.
UFI is supporting the work of global, regional, and national institutions who deal with this outbreak.
As part of the meetings industry, exhibitions are both very much affected by protective measures as they are a vital means to support industries in challenging times.
As an industry, we have shown time and again that we are supportive and resilient in difficult times. Our best response to this outbreak is to stay focused and calm.
On this page, we are listing some resources for UFI members and the industry at large.
Working with the global industry community, UFI has released a global framework that sets out how our industry will run events given the COVID19 conditions. The framework lists measures and advocacy messages for the dialogue with politicians and health authorities, and provides global industry guidance.
GOOD PRACTICE GUIDE: ADDRESSING COVID-19 REQUIREMENTS FOR RE-OPENING BUSINESS EVENTS
Building on UFI’s “Global framework for reopening exhibitions and B2B trade events post the emergence from COVID-19”, this joint AIPC – ICCA – UFI guidance shares good industry practices and emerging standards for the implementation of framework measures from around the world.
- Good Practice Guide: Addressing COVID-19 Requirements for Re-Opening Business Events V3 (March 2021)
- Guía de Buenas Prácticas: Abordando el COVID-19 Requerimientos para la Reapertura de Eventos de Negocios V3 (March 2021)
Central evolving standards and best practices documents.
- All Secure Guidelines 2.0
- Good Practices Guide: Convention and Exhibition Centres as Temporary Vaccination Centres
- Good Practices Guide: Convention & Exhibition Centres as Temporary Emergency Facilities
EXHIBITION INDUSTRY MARKET STATUS TRACKER
Around the world, many authorities are allowing exhibitions and business events to take place again, given certain preconditions and protective measures are put in place. UFI is tracking the current state of markets in a designated document
GOVERNMENT SUPPORT FOR EXHIBITIONS & BUSINESSES
These reports aim to support lobbying and advocacy efforts by providing easily accessible and comparable country-based information about various programmes around the world.
- Overview of state aid & support programmes in Europe
- Overview of state aid & support programmes in LATAM
- Overview of state aid & support programmes in Asia/Pacific
- Overview of state aid & support programmes in Middle East/Africa
Data, materials, and messages you can use when you talk to your lawmakers and stakeholders about support for our sector
- Global Assessment of COVID 19’s economic impact on trade shows and exhibitions for 2021
- Related infographics
- EEIA policy statement
- Joint Meetings Industry Council (JMIC): Business Events as Primary Agents for Post-Pandemic Economic Recovery and Renewal
- Position Paper: Exhibitions are the most powerful economic growth engines that drive economic recovery
- Position Paper: Exhibitions and Live Events are the fast track to economic recovery
- Letter to the European Commission on behalf of the exhibition industry
- Video Statement from JMIC President (and UFI CEO) Kai Hattendorf
- Statement from UFI President Mary Larkin
- Joint statement from UFI and SISO
We are tracking policy announcements from exhibition industry associations here: blog.ufi.org
We are gathering case studies on exhibitions successfully dealing with the outbreak:
- Las Vegas Marketplace, Las Vegas, NV, USA
- Reimagining Business Events – Through COVID-19 and Beyond, STB, PCMA and UFI launch white paper to reimagine the future of business events
- Entrance examinations of the Laurea University of Applied Sciences, Helsinki, Finland
- Jewelers International Showcase, Miami, FL, USA
- Magic, WINN, OffPrice, Orlando FL, USA
- Surf Expo, Florida, USA
- Connect Marketplace, Florida, USA
- Entrance examination of the Laurea University of Applied Sciences, Helsinki, Finland
- The Finnish War Veterans Federation, Helsinki, Finland
- Super Pet Expo, All Show Services, USA
- 53rd MBC Construction Expo, KINTEX, South Korea
- GESS, Dubai, UAE
- Aircraft Interiors and MRO Middle East
- AIME, Melbourne, Australia
- Global Pet Expo, Orlando, U.S.A
- Integrated Systems Europe, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
INFORMATION ON THE VIRUS:
- The World Health Organisation (WHO) is the source of relevance, they have a dedicated web presence here: https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019
- The WHO provides daily updates here: https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/situation-reports/
- Global tracker of coronavirus cases by Johns Hopkins CSSE: https://bit.ly/34R6rhs
- US Center for Disease Control: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html
- European Centre for Disease Prevention: https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/novel-coronavirus-china
- Again, the WHO: https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/travel-advice
- IATA is maintaining an up to date overview of immigration rules for almost all countries around the world: https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/international-travel-document-news/1580226297.htm
- The WHO and the UNWTO (World Tourism Organisation) have issued a joint statement regarding the travel and tourism industry: https://www.who.int/news-room/detail/27-02-2020-a-joint-statement-on-tourism-and-covid-19—unwto-and-who-call-for-responsibility-and-coordination
- National governments issue travel advisories
- The WHO has a good tool kit of material for travellers and trade show participants: WHO’s messaging on what travelers and participants in trade shows and exhibitions can do to stay safe.
- The WHO has issued a document called “Key planning recommendations for Mass Gatherings in the context of the current COVID-19 outbreak”.
- In the US, the CDC provides “Considerations for Events and Gatherings” here
- UFI and AIPC have produces a best practice guide for venues and centres on COVID-19 measures: Convention and Exhibition Centre Health & Safety: Managing COVID-19 Challenges
- We have put together UFI recommendations on how to deal with the outbreak within your company and some guidance around events you are running
- TCEB Situation update on 1 July 2021: Designation of Targeted Control Area & Enforcement of Stringent Control Measures
- The Joint Meetings Industry Council (JMIC) has issued a call to the whole Meetings Industry in response to the outbreak – you can read (and share) it here
- We are facilitating ongoing dialogue between exhibition organisers around the world – to be involved in this exchange contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- We are facilitating ongoing dialogue between exhibition venue operators around the world – to be involved in this exchange contact email@example.com
- The WHO has stated that the world is also fighting an “infodemic”, as many fake stories are being pushed out predominantly through social media. “NewsGuard” is running a Coronavirus Misinformation Tracking Center that identifies and calls out news and information sites in the U.S., the U.K., France, Italy, and Germany that have been identified as publishing materially false information about the virus: https://www.newsguardtech.com/coronavirus-misinformation-tracking-center